I found out that I have high porosity. I took the test on the Shea Moisture website and had a look at what high porosity means. Knowing what my hair porosity is should make it easier to find the right products. Since writing this post I have taken the glass of water test and found that I have low porosity so I have since changed up what products I use.
From what I’ve read there are five key things I need to do in order to keep the moisture in my hair. I need to use protein treatments (monthly), deep condition my hair after every wash, seal in moisture with butters and oils, use heavy products with natural oils and use apple cider vinger and aloe vera.
*I’ve linked all the articles I’ve read at the end of this post.
Oils and butters seal in moisture. Olive oil, avocado oil and castor oil are the best natural oils for high porosity hair types.
*the oils linked below are all from Shea Butter Cottage. You can find coconut oil just about anywhere now.
I need heavier and thicker shampoos and conditioners, but they also need to contain high levels of water.
*All of the shampoos and conditioners linked below are from Beauty By Zara, except from the OGX shampoo and conditioner. You can find the OGX range at Boots, Superdrug’s and superstores like ASDA and TESCO.
– ORS Olive Oil Replenshing Conditioner £2.99
– ORS Olive Oil Sulfate-Free Hydrating Shampoo £2.89
– ElastaQP Creme Conditioning Shampoo £2.49
– ElastaQP Intense Fortifying Conditioner £2.99
– OGX Anti-Breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo £6.99
– OGX Anti-Breakage Keratin Oil Conditioner £6.99
I love the way deep conditioners makes my hair feel. I’m glad the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep conditioner is recommend, because that Conditoner and a handful of coconut oil made my hair feel great the last time I used them together.
– EDEN BodyWorks Jojoba Monoi Deep Conditioner £20.49
– Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture Seal Masque sold out on Beauty by Zara
– Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque currently £12.99 (family size), normally £16.99
– Shea Moisture JBCO Strength, Grow & Restore Treatment Masque currently £9.99, normally £14.99
I defiantly need styling products to add in extra moisture after and before washes. Also they should help with detangling.
I’ve heard of protein treatments but I’ve never really understood what they were and how they work. From what I understand it’s a way of keeping your hair healthy and full of protein. It’s recommended to do this every month.
5 Best Protein Treatments for Natural Hair – TrialsnTresses.com
Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture range – SheaMoisture.com
Proper Hair Care Routine for High Porosity Hair – TrialsnTresses.com
How to Condition High Porosity Hair & Keep It Moisturised – Naturally Curly.com
Top 15 Products for High Porosity Hair – NaturallyCurly.com